Friday, August 12, 2005

ELCA Sexuality Recommendations

This week has been the ELCA Assembly in Orlando, FL and it has been a very tense week for many of us. The reason is because of the ELCA's three recommendations that the Assembly was voting on. The question was brought forth in 2001 and they developed a study program Journey Together Faithfully in order to create an opportunity in congregations to discuss the normally taboo topic of sexuality and most specifically the question of homosexuality. I have to be honest at first I was excited about the study which was put in two parts until I read them and felt that they were lopsided and leading. I tried to enter the conversation with some of the issues that were troubling me and was called names. It's amazing for me since at one time I was considered "straight but not narrow" and had many gay and lesbian friends. It was only upon my coming to faith that I was highly convicted of the sinfulness of homosexual relations and it wasn't by the highly heated rhetoric, but a heavy and difficult realization when coming into faith. I became aware of my own sinfulness.

I digress, the recommendations were 1) for maintaining unity (kind of ambiguous) 2)for pastoral care of gays and lesbians (vague also, maybe opening the way for blessings) and 3) to allow for the ordination of gays and lesbians in committed relationships (not vague at all). Well, 1 & 2 passed, but 3 was defeated thankfully. The problem with this whole discussion is it was shrill with the emotions of the GLBT protests and was disrupted by the guests who refused to follow the rules of order. This wasn't a great example of a mature and open discussion.

Now, I realize that this will not be the end of this discussion. However, I do hope that it can become less shrill and more civil.

Here is my belief (and my opinion):

Sexuality is a normative that must be defined by moral standards and is not genetically defined hetero or homo.

Society has given the boundaries that guide our choices, however if not given societal norms sexuality would become more of a hedonistic, animalistic fulfillment of desire. God gave us as humans one thing that separates us from other animals is our soul and with our soul we receive rationality to know the difference between right and wrong.

No comments: