Monday, September 05, 2005

Southern Care

Southern Care

At this time my heart breaks for our Christian brothers and sisters that are suffering in the South.  Katrina has brought such devastation it’s almost impossible to know where to start.  So many people in suffering and that is all we can see.  I opened the paper today and saw a picture that troubled me to the core, a body floating in the water.  I troubled me and made me ask the question:  Why?  Not why, so many dead, but why would any responsible news agency place that picture in a newspaper and I open Sundays St. Paul Pioneer Press there it is.  It troubling for me that it would be printed because it does not account for the person’s family who may not yet know that their relative is dead.  I understand there are so many dead and the tragedy is great, but as a society we should also know there is hope.  The aid that is being poured out upon the people in the midst of their suffering is such a wonderful vision of the true goodness of people and counters the visions of looters and those wishing to throw the people into chaos.
Now is the time that we join together as a people setting aside politics and moving forward.  As a country we should set aside our petty differences and move forward as a country united in rebuilding our southern coast and caring for our neighbors.  This is the time to follow what Christ called us to “loving our neighbor as ourselves.”  Blame needn’t be assigned because complacency can be seen on all fronts apart from politics.  Most news organizations were breathing a sigh of relief for New Orleans Tuesday morning before the levees broke.  Now isn’t the time for blame, now is the time for unity.
     Great sites that offer aid:
     www.elca.org – The Evangelical Church in America (All the monies donated for Hurricane Katrina disaster relief go directly for disaster relief)
     www.worldvision.org – World Vision is a great organization and is on the ground in the Gulf coast as we speak – great mission working for the end of poverty around the globe.

God Bless those in suffering and I look forward to hearing the positive stories of neighbors taking care of neighbors in the coming weeks to counter all the negative news – death and looting – that has filled the media waves.

5 comments:

Anna said...

I didn't see the picture, so I'm not sure what it looked like. But sometimes I think we are so sheilded from tradegy that we need to be exposed to it. In other countries no one would have a problem with a picture like that being in the paper. In America though, we have a problem. I understand that there is a need to have concern for the family, and to see hope in the situation, but that is a point to consider. I think the newspaper, while of couse probably sensationalizing it, also wanted to get across the grimness of the situation.

Rev. Christopher Byars said...

Anna,
I agree that it is important to make everyone aware of the grimness of the situation and I feel that that has been well communicated throughout last week. My feeling is that by Sunday that picture was truly unnecessary to convey the message of the severity of the situation. My greatest concern is the political posturing that has been going on with the situation. In my opinion all this posturing trivializes the tragedy.

Steve said...

Chris,
Your blog caught my attention because, like me, you had Lutheranism as one of your ineterests, so when I clicked on that link in my profile your blog was one of the ones that came up. As I stared perusing through your blog, lo and behold I realize that, not only are you a fellow Lutheran, but a fellow Luther seminary boy, and as it turns out we have met before.
I don't know if you remember me, but my name is Steve Bliss. We met in the gym one morning and talked to each other a few times after that. You might remember me mentioning a Bible Study that I was a part of and telling you that you were more than welcome to join.
I graduated in May and I accepted a call to a 2 point parish in Grenora, North Dakota. It has been great. I have been truly inspired by the way that this community has responded to the needs of the victims of hurricane Katrina. In the midst of all this despair the hope that can only be symbolized by the Cross of Christ will reveal itself.
Anyhoo, I Just wanted to say I enjoyed your blog, and it was nice to run into a familiar face out there in bloggerland.
From the looks of it, you are on your internship. How is that going? Looks like you were able to stay in the cities.
I'll check out your blog from time to time, check mine out when you get a chance.

God bless,
Steve

jazztheo said...

In the city in which I live, we have been recieving hundreds of people a day...we are trying to greet them in the name of Christ, provide them homes, give them a cup of cold water in His name. They are in such shock. Many of them when they get on the airplanes don't even know where they are going. In my little corner of the world the church of Jesus Christ is rising to the challenge and taking up the towel and basin.

Rev. Christopher Byars said...

Jazztheo,
It is so uplifting to hear. Communities of faith following through with God's call. I am so glad that you came across my blog and look forward to getting to know you more.

Chris